Vegan & Gluten Free Vanilla Buttercream.
Our go-to recipe at the bakery. Smooth and creamy vanilla buttercream, pipe-worthy, and indulgent with just the right amount of sweetness. Add in your favorite flavorings at the end, from cinnamon to lemon zest.
This recipe is 100% vegan and gluten free.
- Omit the salt if you use salted vegan butter.
- Try substituting half of the salted butter with non-hydrogenated shortening like palm shortening. It will lessen the salty taste dramatically and hold up better in warmer temps.
- Use the stick form of vegan butter, not the tub. Sticks = less moisture.
- Do not over beat your frosting once powdered sugar has been added. Your buttercream may start to separate.
- Sift in your powdered sugar. Organic powdered sugar tends to clump more than the traditional counterpart. No one likes little sugar boulders in their buttercream.
- 1 lb Vegan Butter (preferably unsalted, however if you can ONLY find salted then please lessen your salt by 1/2 a tsp or to taste)
- 1 lbs Organic Powdered Sugar, sifted.
- 4g (3/4 tsp) Salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Non-Dairy Milk
Step One: In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl and continue to beat. May take up to five minutes. If your butter starts to melt, place in the fridge for 10 minutes and continue to beat.
Step Two: On a low speed, add in your powdered sugar one cup at a time. Do not overwhelm the whipped butter. This can cause graininess or separation.
Step Three: Depending on how stiff you like your buttercream, you can add in the extract or flavorings you choose plus the non-dairy milk and mix on low to medium until incorporated. Warmer climates may choose to omit the non-dairy milk. If frosting a cake, you will need the non-dairy milk to ensure the buttercream is spreadable.
We hope you enjoy our favorite creamy vegan and gluten free vanilla buttercream!
~ Maria Angela